Thursday, November 12, 2009

Veterans day.


I've always experienced Veterans Day with a sense of pride. At Sterling they usually had a Veterans day assembly and the band would play the different songs of the branches of the Military, I later joined them, and the choir would sing Battle hymn of the Republic. Papa Klein was always there dressed in his dress whites and I always felt lucky that I could thank my own grandfather for being able to live in this great nation we do today.
This year was different, I didn't get to thank him this year. I didn't play Anchors Aweigh on my sax. I didn't outwardly celebrate the men and women that put their lives on the line for our safety. A thank you to Sam and Kim (Elliott's younger brother and his wife) for their dedication to our country; they were in Iraq last year and they are currently in Egypt making frequent trips to Israel.
This year I got up got around for the day. I played with Tiger for a while before Elliott came home around lunch. We ate and watched Jeopardy on the game show network, before leaving for Hutch. We drove down to the Hutchinson Clinic, encountering almost every slow driver on the planet.
We had to report to the lab first so I could get a "sugar drink" so in an hour the vampires could take my blood and measure my glucose levels. (I drink Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew I know that they've got to be high) I choked down the sugar drink and we hustled up to OB/GYN. After waiting a few minutes and playing around with the timer the gal in Lab gave me. The ultrasound tech called us back. We walked all the way to the back of the department into a dimly lit room. At first when I walked in I noticed the monitor on the ultrasound thingy was only a 17" or maybe 19" and I was kinda bummed cause it'd look really small, then the gal told me to hop up onto this reclined table and not 8' in front of me hanging on the wall was a 48" flat screen that was hooked into the system...this was gonna be cool.
Elliott tossed my bag onto one of the chairs and stood beside me at the gal started looking around for the baby. She found it and determined that the head was down and the kid had it's butt up by my rib cage, leave it to my kid to be a goofball. The tech then went through and identified the different parts of the brain, how big around the head was, the heart, the stomach, the kidneys, hands, feet and the pelvis. She then asked if we wanted to know the sex and Ell and I both answered "yes." She looked around the front side of the pelvis and was able to clearly identify it was a girl. Well, I didn't get my linebacker, but I know that we currently have a very healthy and well developed little girl.
*Note to all friends, Family, or random people who want to give us stuff. NO PINK STUFF! Even though we'll be having a girl she's gonna watch football, play sports and hardly ever wear dresses. I know that it's somewhat challenging to find stuff for girls that isn't pink, but other stuff is out there. If in the future she decides she likes pink you can go hog wild with the pink, but until she decides the no pink rule stands.
Okay, back to ultrasound story. After learning it was a girl we then went back to the heart and other organs and it's the coolest thing ever to see a tiny heart beating seeing all 4 chambers doing their job in unison beating at 148 beats per minute is just awesome! We listen to the heart beat for just a few seconds; and then we looked at the blood flow from the umbilical cord in a different view that lit up the blood like neon and that was just as cool. The tech then tried to get different shapshots so we could have something to take with us and show everyone. Trying to get a profile shot in the 4D view showed the kid's stubborn side she didn't really want us to have a good profile shot, but we got on that does show the cheek, nose, left eye, and lips pretty well. After we were through the tech started printing out a few pictures and put several others on a CD for us and we discovered that she was a Cowboys fan. While the CD was being burnt Ell and went down to the little waiting room in the OB/GYN dept and waited on the CD and to see the Doctor.
After a few minutes the ultrasound tech brought us the pictures and the CD, and an other minute later we were called back into a room. The nurse took my blood pressure and asked a few questions before leaving to go pass the information onto the Dr. Elliott and amused ourselves by measuring our height and playing with the slide thingy that predicts your due date. The Dr came in and we had a short chat about my health overall, he was impressed that everything was where it should be and that the ultrasound showed a healthy 2lb 2oz little girl. He asked us if we'd thought about a birthing class and said that one of his nurses, Jan, does a great one. It's only 3 hours, but it's very informative and to the point. He said that he attended it 3 times with his wife, that even though he was a board certified OB his wife made him go to it. he said we didn't need to come in for a month because things were excellent, but to give the office a call if any problems did arise.
We then went down the hall and got the information for the birthing class, and went to the front desk to schedule our next appt which will be on Dec 9th and we also got signed up for the January 5th birthing class. Then we had to hustle down to the lab cause the hour was up. the gal taking my blood finally hit my vein after wiggling the needle around for 30 seconds in my arm, not fun.
Elliott and I left and we visited Nancy at work for a few and showed her the ultrasound shots; and then we left for Sterling and on the way down I called Dad and Shelly to let them know what was going down. then we went to mom's and played with Jackson and Sambo before mom got home from school. then after making a trip to Dillon's in town to get Mountain Dew and see Rob-Bob at work mom had homemade chicken and noodles for supper, I did help de-bone the chicken. A little after dinner Ell and I headed home and Tiger was anxious to see us and he decided that our attention needed to be all on him. We watched TV for a while before heading to bed around 11:30ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment