Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Bad news, Bronchitis

Well, Elliott fought a fever all yesterday and a horrible cough. I made sure he was taking Tylenol and DayQuil and he was still running a 100 some fever. Last night was a long night, neither of us could get to sleep even though we both headed to bed around 11. Around 1:30am Ell let me know he was having chills out on the air mattress, so I said screw it to being contagious and I had him get in the bed with me and bundle up again. I turned on the heater in the house for a while to warm up the bedroom and the bathroom. We finally settled into sleep a little after 2am; it didn't last long though.
At 5:15am Elliott woke up coughing, woke me up too, and couldn't catch his breath for awhile and was wheezing terribly, I knew at this point we weren't dealing with just a random cold. Elliott had several other coughing fits to the point where he became very dizzy and he said a few times like he'd blacked out. We tried resting some more, because we both knew it wasn't bad enough for a trip to the ER, but that no Doctor's office would be open for a few hours. I thumbed through my medical books and made the amature diagnosis of Bronchitis, little did I know I was right.
Elliott hadn't had any medicine since a little after 11 last night, and the fever was still there at a little over 100. I grew really hungry and at 6:25 I got up and made myself a bowl of cereal and called mom to get her opinion, since she'd recently had Bronchitis. She agreed with the fact that I needed to get Ell to the Dr, but she figured Ell had the Flu because he had a fever. I laid back down after finishing my breakfast and giving the leftover milk to Tiger, he absolutely loves this.
Elliott knew he wasn't going to get much more sleep, if any, so he decided to take a hot shower to relax and possibly break his fever. I tried to get back to sleep, because I was exhausted. Around 20 minutes later I hear, "I need help!" from the bathroom and Tiger and I rushed to see what was the matter. I found Elliott on the floor of the bathroom bent over the toilet telling me he needed water because he was dry heaving. He'd started coughing violently and it made him start heaving up what slight mucus was in his stomach in the shower, so he shut the water off and went to the toilet. It was a little after 7:30 when I decided it was time to see if anyone was at the clinic that's attached to the hospital in town. Luckily one of the receptionists had just gotten there and I got Elliott in at 11, but since he was a new patient we needed to come in a half hour early to do paperwork.
I got Elliott dressed and wrapped up in his fleece blanket and he got cozy on the couch watching backed up episodes of House on the DVR. He was nice enough to let me go back to bed and try to get a little more sleep. I've discovered in the past 2 or 3 months that I need more sleep than I used to. I had him checking his temperature every 30 minutes and keeping me updated. He had 2 readings that were slightly over 101. I got maybe 45 minutes of sleep, and at 10 I got up, dressed and ready to go.
We headed over to the clinic, checked in, did the paperwork, made copies of the insurance card and waited. A little before 11 Ell was called back and the nurse took his, temp, blood pressure, sample history, and weighed him. Then the Dr came in and did a detailed work-up on Ell, getting a detailed history, and tested all of his reflexes and listened to his chest really well. The Dr said that he heard a squeaking/wheezing sound in Ell's lung around the area where he was trying to listen to Ell's heart. So after going through a few more things, and after finding out that the Dr used teach Paramedic/EMT classes at HCC a few years ago, he came to the diagnosis of Bronchitis. He wrote Ell a prescription for a Zpac of Zithromax and told him to take the maximum dosage of Mucinex for the next few days, but that his ailment was probably viral, so he could treat the symptoms, but that he'd most likely have to wait 5 to 7 days for the virus to run it's course.
After that we headed to Wal-Mart in Great Bend to get the Prescription. After waiting around in Subway in Wal-Mart, and getting lunch for me, cause I was super hungry Ell got his medicine and we came home. Elliott is currently in bed watching backed up Storm Chaser stuff on the DVR and I'm doing laundry and taking care of him the best I can.
We're waiting until tomorrow to pass judgement on whether or not to travel all around on Thursday for Thanksgiving. and wether or not we'll be going down to Springfield, MO this weekend to see my dad, like we'd been planning for several weeks. It's not that we don't want to see and spend the holiday with family it's we don't want to get anyone else sick, or make Ell worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment