Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snow is pretty, but a pain in the butt

Where should I begin, yesterday we received the first real snow of the season. Well it actually started Monday night, but whatever. Ell and I got up and around at 6-ish thanks to the kitty alarm (Tiger was whining). Elliott checked his messages and discovered that Barton Community College, the Great Bend campus, was closed for the day. We spent sometime giving tiger some attention and Ell kept a close eye on school closings on ksn.com. A high majority of the schools in the area were closing, however I noticed 2 were missing, Sterling and Ellinwood. My mom is a teacher at Ellinwood Grade School, and lives in Sterling. There's a running joke that it takes a biblical type flood or hell to freeze over for Ellinwood to close school and Sterling isn't far from that. I gave mom a call about the time Elliott informed me Ellinwood was closing for the day and she gave me the 411 (information) on the weather in Sterling. At this point we had about 4 inches outside the 4 front door and Sterling had maybe 2 inches like Hutch.
Elliott and I then took to napping, we were still a little tired and since Ell had a off day he settled into "His" recliner and I got back in bed for a few hours. The snow continued to fall outside all day. Around noon we lazily got up and made Tacos for lunch, YUM! the rest of the day was spent between periodically checking the snow outside, relaxing, and surfing the Internet (Elliott kept a sharp eye on weather stuff and road situations). I got bored around 3 and took a hot shower.
At 3:30 we lost our Internet connection and Elliott called Embarq and they let him know there were outages all over the state and that at the very latest they'd have our connection up by 11pm. We moved the little TV that was in the corner on the Kitchen counter around and out so Elliott could see it perfectly from his chair in the living room. We then watched Up and Alvin & the Chipmunks before dinner. I'd put stuff for chicken & dumplings in the crock pot at is was finally ready around 7-ish. I put in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation to watch while we ate and called mom to see how things were in Sterling and what they'd done during the day. she let me know that Sterling had right around 4 inches and that they'd gone to Chase and cleaned off the side walks and driveway for my grandparents. After eating I ventured outside and checked our snow level at is was around 7 inches. At this point the snow had stopped falling, but we had a nasty North, Northwest wind that was blowing the snow and making some deep drifts.
I came inside and Elliott let me know that the Internet was back up and after checking e-mail and Facebook we watched a few of the Rankin & Bass Christmas shows. I fell asleep for part of Rudolph's Shiny New Year and after it was over I made the call to go to bed, but not long after taking the DVD out and putting it away, the power went out.
I then went around the house lighting a few candles and Elliott turned his ear to his radio to see if the city guys were solving the problem. Luckily after about 20 minutes the power was back on and Ell was hearing reports of troopers stuck in snowdrifts on K-4. At this point both of us were awake and alert and getting to sleep was still a few hours away. After watching the weather channel and Family Guy I went to bed and talked Elliott out of his recliner and to come to bed with me. We both fell asleep not long after laying down and woke up around 6:30. I went back to sleep while Ell got around for work. At around 8 I got up and found Elliott to still be home. His car wouldn't start and there was a ton of snow in the driveway to boot. I got around and bundled up and helped Ell get his car out into the street so we could dig Rhonda (my car) out of a few feet of snow and get her turned in way to jump start Ell's car. After about 30 minutes of shoveling and pushing we were able to get Ell's car down the driveway and sort of in the street. then we dug Rhonda out and she started right up and I backed her up into the yard near Ell's car and we got Ell's car jump started. I put Rhonda back in the driveway and came inside. Ell put his car back in the driveway and let it warm up/run to charge the battery for few before finally heading of to work a little bit ago.
Ell's getting off at 11:30 and going to go to Wal-Mart and get a new battery and then coming home, eat lunch with me and then we've got to be in Hutch for a Dr's apt at 3. Fingers crossed that his car will start again and that I won't have to come bail him out and that we get to Hutch and back okay this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment